Dread Nation - Justina Ireland

~BOOK BLURB~

Dread Nation

Justina Ireland

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jane McKeene was born two days before the dead began to walk the battlefields of Gettysburg and Chancellorsville—derailing the War Between the States and changing America forever. In this new nation, safety for all depends on the work of a few, and laws like the Native and Negro Reeducation Act require certain children attend combat schools to learn to put down the dead. But there are also opportunities—and Jane is studying to become an Attendant, trained in both weaponry and etiquette to protect the well-to-do. It’s a chance for a better life for Negro girls like Jane. After all, not even being the daughter of a wealthy white Southern woman could save her from society’s expectations.

But that’s not a life Jane wants. Almost finished with her education at Miss Preston’s School of Combat in Baltimore, Jane is set on returning to her Kentucky home and doesn’t pay much mind to the politics of the eastern cities, with their talk of returning America to the glory of its days before the dead rose. But when families around Baltimore County begin to go missing, Jane is caught in the middle of a conspiracy, one that finds her in a desperate fight for her life against some powerful enemies. And the restless dead, it would seem, are the least of her problems.

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If wanting to like a book is enough, then I would have loved this…but, in reality, I just found it rather dull.  The zombies or "shamblers", were the dullest of them and the story just fell flat for me.  Although, if they had been more kill-y than I probably wouldn't have finished it due to the nightmares I would have had. {{{shrugs shoulders}}}

The plot didn't play out the way I envisioned it.  I thought it would center around the civil war and how the walking dead changed how it ended.  But after rereading the synopsis, I realized I shouldn't have thought that…but even knowing that it didn't change my disappointment. (This is why reading the synopsis doesn't spoil the book for me, I don't really pay attention to what it says...)  Overall the story wasn't all bad, but it's likely that I won't read the next book.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Theme or Tone~ 3/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 2/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 3/5

Originality~ 4/5

Ending~ 3/5 Cliffhanger~  sort of…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ Awesome, it drew me in…I feel like the cover promised more than I was given…

Narration~ 3 -Bahni Turpin…it's not that she was bad, only that I think they were too many characters for her take on by herself.

Setting~ Alternate United States