Wake of Vultures - Lila Bowen

~BOOK BLURB~

Wake Of Vultures

Lila Bowen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nettie Lonesome lives in a land of hard people and hard ground dusted with sand. She's a half-breed who dresses like a boy, raised by folks who don't call her a slave but use her like one. She knows of nothing else. That is, until the day a stranger attacks her. When nothing, not even a sickle to the eye can stop him, Nettie stabs him through the heart with a chunk of wood and he turns to black sand.

And just like that, Nettie can see.

But her newfound sight is a blessing and a curse. Even if she doesn't understand what's under her own skin, she can sense what everyone else is hiding—at least physically. The world is full of evil, and now she knows the source of all the sand in the desert. Haunted by the spirits, Nettie has no choice but to set out on a quest that might lead her to find her true kin . . . if the monsters along the way don't kill her first.

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This felt like it was trying too hard to be about as many relevant topics as it could, and for me personally, I think it just came off as overtly chaotic.  It started out good, I was feeling the alternate old west world she had created…then it just became crude and uncomfortable.  Then there were the supernatural elements, seriously it had everything from Vampires to Chupacabra's, with several more in between, too many really…but  hey, there are plenty of readers out there who liked this.  With that being said…its overall message about not being afraid to be yourself is the best thing about this book, and it's the reason I rated as high as I did.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Theme or Tone~ 3/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 3.5/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4/5

Originality~ 4/5

Ending~ 3/5  Cliffhanger~ "to be continued"

Book Cover~ Very cool

Narration~ 3 by Robin Miles…I don't think she was bad, she just didn't work for me.

Series~ The Shadow #1