Winter's Bone: A Novel (Audio) - Daniel Woodrell, Emma Galvin

~BOOK BLURB~

Winter's Bone

Danial Woodrell

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sheriff's deputy at the front door brings hard news to Ree Dolly. Her father has skipped bail on charges that he ran a crystal meth lab, and the Dollys will lose their house if he doesn't show up for his next court date.

Ree's father has disappeared before. The Dolly clan has worked the shadowy side of the law for generations, and arrests (and attempts to avoid them) are part of life in Rathlin Valley. But the house is all they have, and Ree's father would never forfeit it to the bond company unless something awful happened. With two young brothers depending on her and a mother who's entered a kind of second childhood, Ree knows she has to bring her father back, dead or alive, or else see her family turned out into the unforgiving cold.

Sixteen-year-old Ree, who has grown up in the harsh poverty of the Ozarks, learns quickly that asking questions of the rough Dolly clan can be a fatal mistake. She perseveres past obstacles of every kind and finally confronts the top figures in the family's hierarchy.

Along the way to a shocking revelation, Ree discovers unexpected depths in herself and in a family network that protects its own at any cost.

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Initially, the spare writing, left me constantly trying to fill in the blanks.  I was hoping that watching the movie would fill some of those in…and it did a few, actually.  I mostly just picked out the differences between the movie and the book, though.    There were quite a few, including the most obvious one; Ree's siblings.  The movie has a boy and a girl, where the book has two boys.

Despite that, I would say that this story made an impression on me.  With the harsh living conditions and indelible characters, and the hopelessness of Ree's situation, I really felt for her.  Ree is poignantly portrayed by Jennifer Lawrence, and actually, the entire cast is spot on.  I think the book is better for the obvious and usual reasons but I also think watching the movie rounded out my experience of the Winter's Bone altogether.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4/5

Originality~ 4/5

Ending~ 4/5

Book Cover~ Movie Cover…

Narration~ ☆4☆ for Emma Galvin, her voice was perfect for this.

Setting~ Rathlin Valley, The Ozarks