The Good Liar - Catherine McKenzie

~BOOK BLURB~

The Good Liar

Catherine McKenzie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can you hide a secret with the whole world watching?

When an explosion rips apart a Chicago building, the lives of three women are forever altered.

A year later, Cecily is in mourning. She was supposed to be in the building that day. Instead, she stood on the street and witnessed it going down, with her husband and best friend inside. Kate, now living thousands of miles away, fled the disaster and is hoping that her past won’t catch up with her. And Franny, a young woman in search of her birth mother, watched the horror unfold on the morning news, knowing that the woman she was so desperate to reconnect with was in the building.

Now, despite the marks left by the tragedy, they all seem safe. But as its anniversary dominates the media, the memories of that terrifying morning become dangerous triggers. All these women are guarding important secrets. Just how far will they go to keep them?

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was totally absorbed in this cleverly plotted mystery-thriller, and I finished listening to it in two days.  The characters were easily relatable…even when they were being slightly or not-so-slightly evil.  It was filled with twists and turns, some that had me gasping, others that had me contemplating if it was going in a certain direction.  With its "I-knew-it" moments and its "O-my-gosh-no-way" moments; this was turning out to be my kind of mystery.  Coupled with an ending that left me somewhat awed.  I think when I finished, I even said out loud, to no one in particular, except maybe the dog, Wow, now that's an ending!

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Backdrop (World Building)~ 5/5

Originality~ 5/5

Ending~ 5/5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ It's okay…not overly compelling, but I think it goes with the story.

Narration~ 4.5 collectively for Teri Clark Linden, Kate Rudd, Whitney Dykhouse, JD Jackson was excellently done.  I really like each person having their own voice.

Setting~ Mostly Chicago &  some in Montreal

Source~ Audiobook (KU Read & Listen)