Damselfly - Chandra Prasad

~BOOK BLURB~

Damselfly

Chandra Prasad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Their survival is in their own hands...

Samantha Mishra opens her eyes and discovers she's alone and injured in the thick of a jungle. She has no idea where she is, or what happened to the plane taking her and the rest of the Drake Rosemont fencing team across the Pacific for a tournament. Once Sam connects with her best friend, Mel, and they find the others, they set up shelter and hope for rescue. But as the days pass, the teens realize they're on their own, stranded on an island with a mysterious presence that taunts and threatens them. Soon Sam and her companions discover they need to survive more than the jungle... they need to survive each other.

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I never read The Lord of the Flies…I wasn't even sure what it was about…until I looked it up when I was about a third of the way through this.  The author has a spot at the end of the book where she talks about her inspiration for the book and as an author.  She calls this a Lord of the Flies with a diverse cast of strong female characters.  It does have male characters also, but they are definitely secondary to the females.

Damselfly is a story of what happens to a group of kids when they are suddenly stranded with no rules…or adult supervision.  Told from the pov of a shy Indian girl, it addresses some tough subjects really well.  Unfortunately, though, this felt under-developed to me and left me wanting something more from it; from the characters to general storyline.  Overall, this was just an okay read for me, despite, loving the cover.  It did remind me of the first few episodes of Lost (the TV show), so that was cool.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Addictiveness~ 4/5

Theme or Tone~ 3.8/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 4/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4/5

Ending~ 2.5/5  Cliffhanger~ It kind of did…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ It's very compelling, it's definitely what drew me in.

Narration~4 for Soneela Nankani…I like her, but she could use some work on her voices.

Setting~ Deserted Island, somewhere between the Mainland and Hawaii.

Source~ Audiobook (Scribd)