Gentleman Nine - Penelope Ward

~BOOK BLURB~

Gentlemen Nine

Penelope Ward

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Growing up, the three of us were friends.

He was the nerd.

I was the playboy.

She was the beauty.

Deep down, I only ever wanted her. I kept it inside because Rory and I made a pact that our friend, Amber, was off-limits.

He lied.

I went off to college, and he got the girl.

Amber never knew how I felt.

They were together for years—before he broke her heart.

Through it all and across the miles, she and I casually stayed in touch.

When my job sent me to Boston for a three-month contract position, Amber let me stay in her spare room.

Still reeling from her breakup, she’d sworn off men.

One night, I opened her computer to find the shock of my life. She’d hesitantly contacted a male escort company. Afraid to date and get her heart broken again, she was looking for sex with no strings.

Every emotion imaginable ran through me: protectiveness, jealousy—curiosity.

Amber had chosen Gentleman Number Nine and sent him a message.

She opened up to him, confessing, among other things, her physical attraction to her friend—me. But she considered me off-limits—and she thought I was a manwhore. (Ironic, considering the circumstances.)

Eventually, she set up a date to meet Gentleman Nine at a hotel.

When she showed up several nights later to meet him, she was stunned to see me standing there—with an offer I hoped she wouldn’t refuse.

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I purchased this as an Audible "Deal of the Day" and it surprised me.  Early on it felt like it was going to be everything I hate about this genre, but it actually turned out to be a story with substance.  The characters were fairly likable and while their chemistry wasn't off-the-charts hot, it was still hot. They had real-life issues and not some overtly contrived dribble.  It won't be that for everybody, I'm sure…but for me, I liked it.   A few elements of the story actually resonated with me, personally.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Theme or Tone~ 4/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 4.3/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4/5

Originality~ 4/5

Ending~ 5/5 Cliffhanger~ Nope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ That guy is seriously hot…

Narration~ 5 for Sebastian York & Andi Arndt, these two are masters at this genre, especially when they are together in one book.

Setting~ Boston and a little Chicago