The Scorpio Races - Maggie Stiefvater

~BOOK BLURB~

The Scorpio Races

Maggie Stiefvater

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some race to win. Others race to survive.

It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line.

Some riders live.

Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn't given her much of a choice. So she enters the competition - the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For some reason, this book was never on my radar.  I can't really say why.  If it wasn't for a reading challenge where I needed a book with a race in it…I probably would have never read it.  I think this is why I'm so addicted to them because they force me to discover something I wouldn’t have otherwise.

I really liked The Scorpio Races, with all of the broody, dark-ish, Irish folklore-ish, mythical atmosphere that it had going on.  This is a story about the Capaill Uisce or Water Horses…a version of them anyway and an island where they train these horses, as best as they can, to run in a race they have every year.  There are some lulls in the story leading up to the race, but the budding romance/friendship between Puck and Sean is so beautifully done, that I hardly noticed them.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Theme or Tone~ 4.5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 4.2/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4/5

Originality~ 5/5

Ending~ 4.5/5  Cliffhanger~ Nope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ Striking, both covers actually.

Narration~ 4.5 for Steve West and Fiona Hardingham, I did like Fiona better than Steve, but they were both exceptional.

Setting~ Thisby Island