The Swan & the Jackal - J.A. Redmerski

~BOOK BLURB~

The Swan and the Jackal

J.A. Redmerski

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fredrik Gustavsson never considered the possibility of love, or that anyone could ever understand or accept his dark and bloody lifestyle—until he met Seraphina, a woman as vicious and blood-thirsty as Fredrik himself. They spent two short but unforgettable years together, full of lust and killing and the darkest kind of love that two people can share.

And then Seraphina was gone.

It’s been six years since Fredrik’s lover and sadistic partner in crime turned his world upside-down. Seraphina went into hiding and has eluded him ever since. Now, he’s getting closer to finding her, and an innocent woman named Cassia is the key to drawing Seraphina from the shadows. But Cassia—after sustaining injuries from a fire that Seraphina ignited—suffers from amnesia and can’t give Fredrik the information he desperately seeks. Having no other choice, Fredrik has been keeping Cassia locked in his basement as he not only tries to get her to recall her past—because she and Seraphina share it—but also to protect her from Seraphina, who clearly wants her dead.

But Cassia is a light in the darkness that Fredrik never believed existed. After a year subjected to her kindness and compassion, he finds himself struggling with his love for Seraphina, and his growing feelings for Cassia—because he knows that to love one, the other must die.

Will light win out over darkness, or will something more powerful than either further destroy an already tortured soul?

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know I would've liked this more if she had a different narrator for Fredrik.  Fredrik's story is a dark, twisted, and deeply sinister story and this narrator didn't pull that off, at all.   His voices for other people were just comical…so not the right vibe.  This is one of those books that would have been better if I actually read it.

This whole series is on the dark side, and this is billed as being a dangerous and boundary-pushing crime and suspense series, and I would say that is true.  I went into the first book in this series, Killing Sarai, thinking it would be all sunshine and rainbows by the ending; and so I was disappointed when it wasn't like that. For Reviving Izabel, I was more aware of what this series is about and I was really able to let go of that hope, and I liked it so much more.  With The Swan & the Jackal, I personally believe this ending was done just the way it needed to be.  This is not cute and fluffy romance, it's gritty and raw, yet it has sophistication.

*Disclaimer:  Do not read this series if you need to have a happy ending…because there hasn't been one of those yet.  This series is not for everybody, it's different and sometimes different is good

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Theme or Tone~ 3.8/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 2.5/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 3.7/5

Originality~ 4.3/5

Ending~ 4.2/5  Cliffhanger~ I know the series continues, but Frederic's story has some closure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ It goes with the book well.

Narration~ 1 for Luke Daniels, he was awful, I did not like him at all…his voices were just so wrong.5 for Andi Arndt & Kate Reinders, they were both very good, but unfortunately, at least 3/4 of the book is from Victor's pov.

Series~ In the Company of Killers #3

Setting~ Baltimore, Maryland mostly…

Source~ I own Audible Audiobook