The Girl in Red - Christina Henry

Viral Apocalypse
Survival
Darkish & Mysterious
Horror-if-ic

LINK TO SYNOPSIS (AUTHOR'S WEBSITE)

MY RATING⇢ 4.2 STARS | GRADE B+

MY THOUGHTS⇢

If you like your fairytale retellings to be fun and full of happy elements...this isn't quite the right fit for you. This one is bleak and full of end of the world sadness and destruction.

For a fairytale retelling, the ending is perfect. But, for an apocalypse story, I was like WTF this can't be ending like this. I was left wondering...what about this and what about that...no way, you're just going to leave me hanging like this. I also read on the Author's site, that she has no plans at this time to write a sequel...insert disappointed face.

Basically, she took an apocalypse/dystopian premise and weaved it into the story of Little Red Riding Hood. When looked at it from this standpoint the story completely delivers. But, when looked at it from the standpoint of an apocalypse/dystopian story with references to Red Riding Hood...it definitely leaves you wanting more from it. Her premise for the end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it was not only clever, but it was also rather intense at times. With an air of mystery added to it, I was completely hooked.

But...I want more...seriously, I know I'm not the only one...

THE BREAKDOWN⇢

Theme or Tone⇢ 4.5/5
Flow (Writing Style)⇢ 4.3/5
Backdrop (World Building)⇢ 4.3/5
Originality⇢ 5/5
Ending⇢ 3.8/5 Cliffhanger⇢ Not exactly...but it is rather open-ended.
_____

Book Cover⇢ It's actually quite awesome!
Setting⇢ I believe it's in the US...but, I'm not sure if they ever mention an actual town name.
Source⇢ Own Audible Audiobook