The Salt Line - Holly Goddard Jones

Light Horror
Suspense Thriller
Survival

With Audio Performed by Hillary Huber

LINK TO SYNOPSIS (AUTHOR'S WEBSITE)

MY RATING⇢ 4 STARS | GRADE B+

MY THOUGHTS

The Tick Apocalypse, where the ticks carry a virus that kills a good portion of the population off, is definitely a different take on this genre or subgenre if you prefer.  I wish it wasn't a very probable one when you look at what's happening with mosquitos...it's oddly prescient when you think about it...they are supposed to be spraying in my county tonight (postponed because of rain from Sunday) to kill off the mosquitos that could be carrying the EEE virus.  And, to top it off, I actually finished this audiobook only hours before they started suggesting the whole mass-spaying in Michigan.  Kind of freaky, actually.

Overall, a compelling story that could have been shaved down some because some elements became rather tedious at times...but, the direction the story went in was not at all what I was expecting and I found this to be ultimately refreshing.  The ending was left rather open-ended, but I can live with that.

The Audio was fairly well done, especially for having several POV's with only one narrator.

THE BREAKDOWN⇢

Theme or Tone 4/5
Flow (Writing Style) 3.8/5
Backdrop (World Building) 4/5
Originality 4.3/5
Ending 4/5 Cliffhanger Sorta-ish...
_____

Book Cover It's quite striking...and it's what initially drew me in.
Setting The Other Side of the Salt Line --North Carolina/Lower Appalachian Mountains Area.
Source Libby Audiobook (Library)
Length 15 hours, 24 minutes