Reign of Blood  - Alexia Purdy

"Never tease anything that wants to eat you. My name is April Tate and my blood is the new gold. Vampires and hybrids have overrun my world, once vibrant with life, but now a graveyard of death shrouded in shadows. I fight to survive; I fight for my mother and brother. The journey is full of turns that I am quite unprepared for. And I'm just hoping to make it to the next Vegas sunrise..."

In a post-apocalyptic world, a viral epidemic has wiped out most of the earth’s population, leaving behind few humans but untold numbers of mutated vampires. April is a seventeen-year-old girl who lives in the remains of Las Vegas one year after the outbreak. She has become a ferocious vampire killer and after her family is abducted, she goes searching for them. What she finds is a new breed of vampire, unlike any she has seen before. Unsure of whom she can trust, she discovers that her view of the world is not as black and white as she once thought, and she's willing to bend the rules to rescue her family. But in trying to save them, she may only succeed in bringing her fragile world crashing down around her.

I have stayed away from books about Zombies so far because they usually give me crazy zombie nightmares, but these were not really zombies, they were vampires (that were zombie like).  I am happy to say that I didn't get any nightmares from reading this book. Did this book knock my socks off, not really, was it Ok; yes, and it even had a couple intense moments.  This has an interesting concept for vampires, which is good or I probably wouldn't had even given it a try.  I did like it enough to read the second book in the series