Memoirs Aren't Fairytales: A Story of Addiction - Marni Mann

This was enthralling, I couldn't put it down.  When I wasn't reading it, I was telling people about it.

If you can't take reading what addiction can be like in all it's repulsive ugliness, then this might not be for you.  It's gritty and stirring, it could make you cry at times.

This is a story told like a memoir about a girl named Nicole and her downward spiral into addiction, starting with pot, then moving on to cocaine and lastly to heroin.  Heroin; such a misleading name for a heinous drug.  There is no 'hero' 'in' heroin...just an ugly consuming monster.

I wondered if the author wrote this from experience, so I visited her website, and this is what I found under what inspired her to write "Memoirs Aren't Fairytales":

Someone really close to me overdosed. I felt like I’d been hit by a train. I know when it comes to addiction this is something you should expect, but nothing can prepare you for that phone call. Nothing. The other addicts in my life weren’t doing much better—yes, I have several addicts in my life. Addiction was all over the news and appeared on several of the TV shows I watched. It was mentioned on the radio. There was a billboard in my town that advertised a rehab clinic and I drove past it twice a day. Everyone I talked to used the word addiction in some form or another. Were these signs? I had to believe it was more than a coincidence.

After that phone call, I was in pain. I cried. A lot. I shared my feelings with the people around me until I ran out of things to say. But the pain was still there. Writing had always been a release, so I took a notebook and pen, and poured my soul onto the paper. A few hours later, I reread my words and it wasn’t in diary form or an account of the overdose. I had something here. I’d written the first chapter of a—novel? And so it began…

She also goes on to say she is not a doctor, counselor, or an addict, just an advocate for addiction recovery.

I am really looking forward to reading the rest of Nicole's story in "Scars From A Memoir"