The Casquette Girls - Alys Arden

I was intrigued when I seen the cover of this book, because I remembered a episode of The Originals, that was called The Casket Girls.  The show kind of put their own spin on it.   A casquette girl, originally known as a fille à la cassette (girl with a cassette) but also known historically as a casket girl.

This is a very good version of the legend:

In the early 1700s, the Catholic church sent a faction of nuns to the Louisiana Territory. The Ursuline order was the first group of nuns to set up in what is now the United States. Louisiana was still “the wild west” around this time, loaded with seedy characters. In the hopes of making Louisiana a more desirable place to live, the French government sent over some young ladies to be wives for the plantation owners and bring a sense of civility and culture to the New World. They would stay with the nuns until suitable matches could be made.

The women coming over from France were supposed to be society women of marriageable age. While some of them likely were, history seems to suggest that the majority of the casket girls were orphans and prostitutes. The men they were being sent to weren’t exactly as advertised, either. Some were criminals and “blue-collar” workers. The women were often beaten and raped.  Many returned to France when things turned out to be a little too rustic for them.

The casket girls were so-named because they came with trousseaus (clothing, linens, and other things they would need to start a marriage) packed in cases that looked like caskets. The journey to the New World often took five months, so when the girls arrived, they were often pale, weak, and gaunt. Rumors began to circulate that these girls were vampires - or were vampire smugglers.

It would seem that most of the casket girls couldn’t cut it in Louisiana and went back home to France. Most left their trousseaus behind, in the third floor attic of the nunnery. The attic was shuttered tight, but reports would claim that the shutters would fly open suddenly and randomly, no matter how many times they were nailed shut. Some people would say that, when the shutters were open, the vampires were roaming the city. When the sealed trousseaus were finally opened, they were discovered to be empty.

- See more at: http://www.fearnet.com/news/news-article/were-new-orleans-casket-girls-vampire-smugglers#sthash.4H88ht7P.dpuf

The Ursuline Convent today...

ursuline

The history and the legends in this book are amazing, you can really feel how much she (the author) loves this city.   There is a lot of french words scattered throughout the book, which threw me off sometimes because I don't know to much French, maybe a phrase or two, but it doesn't take anything away from the story.

It felt like it took me forever to read this, mostly because it's a long story, over 500 pages. In this book the vampires are charming but evil; you like them but you know you shouldn't, which is the way it should be.  The main character, Adele is refreshing, honest and confused, I could not help but like her.  This story has romance but no sex, so OK for teens.  It has such an interesting story line that it's acceptable for all ages.

If you are intrigued about New Orleans legends and what you see on  "The Originals" TV show, then you will likely enjoy this book.