The Luxe - Anna Godbersen

"Don't go looking for boys in the dark

they will say pretty things then leave you with scars.

Do go looking for boys in the park

for that is where the true gentlemen are."

--Anna Godbersen, The Luxe

Synopsis:

Pretty girls in pretty dresses, partying until dawn.
Irresistible boys with mischievous smiles and dangerous intentions.
White lies, dark secrets, and scandalous hookups.
This is Manhattan, 1899. Beautiful sisters Elizabeth and Diana Holland rule Manhattan's social scene. Or so it appears. When the girls discover their status among New York City's elite is far from secure, suddenly everyone--from the backstabbing socialite Penelope Hayes, to the debonair bachelor Henry Schoonmaker, to the spiteful maid Lina Broud--threatens Elizabeth's and Diana's golden future.

With the fate of the Hollands resting on her shoulders, Elizabeth must choose between family duty and true love. But when her carriage overturns near the East River, the girl whose glittering life lit up the city's gossip pages is swallowed by the rough current. As all of New York grieves, some begin to wonder whether life at the top proved too much for this ethereal beauty, or if, perhaps, someone wanted to see Manhattan's most celebrated daughter disappear...

In a world of luxury and deception, where appearance matters above everything and breaking the social code means running the risk of being ostracized forever, five teenagers lead dangerously scandalous lives. This thrilling trip to the age of innocence is anything but innocent.

This story is told in an engaging way, with all the many pov's.  We are privy to everything that is going on.  And, crap there is a lot going on...like a sort of historical soap opera.

The Players:

My favorite character is Diana, she is eccentric and bold and I like that about her.  Elizabeth is always trying to do the right thing but always wanting the wrong thing.  Penelope is conniving.  Lina is desperate, and quite ignorant.  Henry is scandalous and a bit disreputable, but I like him.

I listened to this on MP3 Audio and it was the worst book I've ever listened to as far as sound quality, I could never hear what was being said, even with earbuds it was difficult.