Panic - Lauren Oliver

--Lauren Oliver, Panic

Synopsis:

Panic began as so many things do in Carp, a poor town of twelve thousand people in the middle of nowhere: because it was summer, and there was nothing else to do.

Heather never thought she would compete in panic, a legendary game played by graduating seniors, where the stakes are high and the payoff is even higher. She'd never thought of herself as fearless, the kind of person who would fight to stand out. But when she finds something, and someone, to fight for, she will discover that she is braver than she ever thought.

Dodge has never been afraid of panic. His secret will fuel him, and get him all the way through the game; he's sure of it. But what he doesn't know is that he's not the only one with a secret. Everyone has something to play for.

For Heather and Dodge, the game will bring new alliances, unexpected revelations, and the possibility of first love for each of them—and the knowledge that sometimes the very things we fear are those we need the most.

In this gritty, spellbinding novel, New York Times bestselling author Lauren Oliver delivers a gripping narrative of friendship, courage, survival, and hope.

I may have waited too long to review this book...and I have to remember what it was that annoyed me about this book.  I do remember reading on a quite a lot of reviews; comparisons to the Hunger Games, and that this is called a dystopian...

Hold up...this is not like Hunger Games and not a Dystopian.    Not for me, anyways.

It's just a book about small town in upstate (I think) New York.  They play a game that is forbidden by townspeople because it's too dangerous.  Which it is.  At the end of the year the graduating class is able to participate if they  are willing to do so and the winner takes the pot of cash.  The cash is collected throughout the year from all the kids at school, I think; I'm a little confused on exactly how they come up with the money.  The story goes from there and is told from two different pov's, Heather and Dodge.  Who are two of the participants of the game called Panic.

The tone of the book just didn't work for me. I did lot of eye rolls while listening to this.  That doesn't mean it wouldn't work for someone else though.  I listened to this on Audio and I did not like the girl who narrated it, her voice was too nasally for me.