Partials - Dan Wells

--Dan Wells, Partials (Book 1 of The Partials Sequence)

Synopsis:

Humanity is all but extinguished after a war with Partials—engineered organic beings identical to humans—has decimated the population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island. But sixteen-year-old Kira is determined to find a solution. As she tries desperately to save what is left of her race, she discovers that that the survival of both humans and Partials rests in her attempts to answer questions about the war's origin that she never knew to ask.

Playing on our curiosity of and fascination with the complete collapse of civilization, Partials is, at its heart, a story of survival, one that explores the individual narratives and complex relationships of those left behind, both humans and Partials alike—and of the way in which the concept of what is right and wrong in this world is greatly dependent on one's own point of view.

The more I think about this book, the more I like it.  It is definitely on Science Fiction side of Dystopian.  It goes deep into the trials and tribulations they have in this "dystopian world" of trying to keep the human race from ending.  There is a disease that has ended 99. something of the human population and keeps killing all the babies that are born thereafter.

They need a cure and Kira Walker is determined to find it.

Kira is a kick-ass heroine, tenacious and loyal to her "adoptive" family.  The characters in this story are very diverse ethnically, which is refreshing.  The story ends on a mostly positive note but it sets up for the next book at the very end of this one.  I am absolutely going to read or listen, rather to the next book in this exceptional series.

I listened to this on audio and Julia Whelan did an excellent job at narration, she has a plethora of interesting voices that she can do.