New Year Island - Paul Draker

...a very long book at 720 pages (according to goodreads).

Synopsis:

THE STAKES ARE HIGH...
Ten strangers, recruited by an edgy new reality show and marooned on an abandoned island overrun by wildlife. One dies in a horrible accident.

Nine realize they are all past survivors, alive only because they’ve beaten incredible odds once before. One by one, their hidden secrets are revealed.

Eight discover they are trapped. Caught in a game so deadly that the most terrifying experiences of their lives were only its qualifying round, they must now face the greatest danger on the island… each other.

There’s nothing deadlier than a survivor-type whose back is against the wall. And one of them is not who he or she claims.

Seven fight to escape.

Six try to solve the mystery of who lured them there and why.

Five… Four…

Will anyone survive New Year Island?

This book has short chapters which I think is why I kept putting it down all the time, or maybe I'm just not cut out for "lunkers" of this magnitude.  I really liked this story, I just didn't like how long it took me to finish it.

While, it did lag sometimes, it was only for short periods.  Upon reflection, those periods when it lags are when you should really be paying attention. There is scads of action in this book.   The last quarter of the story is a nail-biter, and I did not see the end coming.  There is a ton of characters to keep track of, but they make it all the more entertaining.  I really could see this being made into a movie, albeit a long one.