Fire Country (The Country Saga, #1) - David Estes

...even though it was never told in proper English, or even semi proper English.  It was more like American slang with a Heaters twist.

There is A Guide to Slang and Terminology in Fire Country in the Front Matter of the e-book.  Which is very helpful though.

Synopsis:

In a changed world where the sky bleeds red, winter is hotter than hell and full of sandstorms, and summer's even hotter with raging fires that roam the desert-like country, the Heaters manage to survive, barely.

Due to toxic air, life expectancies are so low the only way the tribe can survive is by forcing women to procreate when they turn sixteen and every three years thereafter. It is their duty as Bearers.

Fifteen-year-old Siena is a Youngling, soon to be a Bearer, when she starts hearing rumors of another tribe of all women, called the Wild Ones. They are known to kidnap Youngling girls before the Call, the ceremony in which Bearers are given a husband with whom to bear children with.

As the desert sands run out on her life's hourglass, Siena must uncover the truth about the Wild Ones while untangling the web of lies and deceit her father has masterfully spun.

Siena is going to go into my list of top 10 favorite fictional characters of all time.  It's a list that she has actually inspired me to compose. Fiercely loyal to those she loves, and yet so freakin' sweet.  She talks to prickler's, (which are actually cacti or cactuses) and even thinks she hears them answering her back.

"Thanks, Perry,"  I whisper to the prickler.  He deserves a name for all his trouble.

--Siena

I love the interactions between her and Circ, they are too adorable together.  I was rooting for them from the beginning.  Basically, this story really got me.

This is a part of series, The Country Saga and there is a sister to this series; The Dwellers Saga, and reading order should go:

Moon Dwellers

Star Dwellers

Sun Dwellers

Fire Country

Ice Country

Water & Storm Country

Earth Dwellers

I only have three more to go and I'm fairly certain I will love them just as much as I loved the others.